Ms. Ring’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on privacy and consumer class actions and intellectual property disputes. She has represented technology companies in litigation and government investigations involving a wide variety of products and services, including online social networking, streaming digital media, mobile devices, software, cloud platforms, computers, gaming consoles, and various telecommunications services. Ms. Ring also counsels clients on compliance with federal and state privacy laws and is a frequent speaker on these topics.
In 2016, Ms. Ring was named among California’s “Top Women Lawyers
” by the Daily Journal
. She also was named to The Recorder
’s “Women Leaders in Tech Law
” list for five consecutive years (2013-2017).
In addition to her class action and IP practice, Ms. Ring has developed a fashion law practice, representing companies such as Ermenegildo Zegna, Yves Saint Laurent and Versace in litigation and counseling on a range of issues, including privacy and IP enforcement programs for trademark and patent portfolios.
Ms. Ring also has an active pro bono practice and is committed to local legal and community organizations. Currently, she is co-counsel with the ACLU in a lawsuit against the Department of Defense challenging its policy excluding women from combat service. She also serves on the board of directors for the Legal Aid Society Employment Law Center of San Francisco and The Center for WorkLife Law at UC Hastings College of the Law and was a founding board member of the Bay Area Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society. Ms. Ring also served as a volunteer attorney in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office where she prosecuted several jury trials to verdict.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Ring was a law clerk to Judge Richard A. Paez on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Before attending law school, she worked as a consultant with Accenture and served as a White House intern for then-Chief of Staff, Leon Panetta.
- Speaker and Program Co-Chair, Legal Frontiers in Digital Media Conference sponsored by Media Law Resource Center, Stanford Law School Center for Internet & Society and Berkeley Center for Law and Technology (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Speaker, Practicing Law Institute, “Recent Developments in Privacy Class Actions” (2015)
- Speaker and Governing Board Member, Union Internationale des Avocats (“UIA”) (2014, 2015)
- Speaker, “A Primer on IP Law: US, EU, Asia, and the Middle East,” UIA Congress (2014)
- Speaker, “The EU's New General Data Protection Regulation,” UIA Congress (2015)
- Speaker, ABA Regional Symposium on Class Actions, “Whose Class Is It Anyway?” (2014)
- Speaker, UC Hastings Privacy & Technology Project, Future of Privacy+Innovation, “Developers! Your App May Be Subject To the EU's Privacy Rules If Downloaded In Luxembourg” (2013)
- Speaker, Legal Seminars International, “Recent Developments in Class Action Litigation” (2012)